Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Colors

Well, this doesn't have to do with colors, but we started of the day by joining a group of mom's at Krispy Kreme. They offer a free "service" for groups where they let the kids decorate donuts. I think they are just trying to get kids hooked at an early age, but it was still a fun activity.

Ellie loved the sprinkles. She doesn't really care for donuts all the much though. She only ate about 1/4 of the donut and picked off sprinkles on the rest.

She did love watching the donuts being made.

Color Mixing

This was a really fun way to focus on colors. Brielle didn't seem to understand the science of primary colors making secondary colors, but she loved mixing the colors.

She spent at least 30 minutes playing with the water and might have gone longer if we didn't have to leave to meet friends at McDonalds for lunch. She thought it was really funny to pretend to drink the colored water. I'm sure it would be safe, but I discouraged it anyway.

Color Match Cards

I made some color cards that we played a few games with and will continue to use for other projects as well. We tried a simplified Go Fish, which was fun. I tried to see if she could play memory, but she would just pick up the cards as I layed them down...we'll have to save that for when she is older.

Her favorite game: I put the cards across the room on the piano bench. I asked her to get me a certain color and she would run and grab it and then bring it to me. It was a great way for me to sit on a chair and relax while she ran around to get her energy out.


Some favorite color-related songs we've been singing:
The Spectrum Song (from Disney)
The Rainbow Song
(from Signing Time)
Our Primary Colors (from the LDS children's songbook)

1 comment:

Shelly said...

That's great that she's so into colors right now, and that you can have so much fun practicing.