Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinese New Year

Warning to all of you: I'll be posting a lot more frequently the next three weeks. James is in Portland, Oregon doing an internship at the VA Hospital. He wants to know what we're up to at home...so here it is!

This week we are focusing on colors. Brielle has been very interested in colors lately. James thinks she knows her colors but I'm still skeptical. I decided to do some projects this week to test if she really knows them, or is just really good at guessing.

We've started off the week with some projects to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

Chinese Lanterns


I held up two markers at a time and asked Brielle which color she wanted. She actually did a really good job of saying the color while reaching for the right marker associated with that color.

And she LOVED the finished lanterns.

Egg Carton Dragons


Ellie was a little confused by this. I've been working so hard to make sure she knows she can only color on paper. So I put the egg carton in front of her and she wasn't quite sure that she was allowed to decorate it.

I assembled it during nap time. I know it looks more like a frog face or a caterpillar, but just use your imagination and pretend it is a dragon.

Yogurt Finger Painting


I had yogurt past expiration that we weren't going to finish fast enough. I decided to turn it into fingerpaint.

When Ellie walked into the kitchen and saw these sitting on the counter she immediately started naming the colors.

Since it is the year of the ox we started by painting the picture of the ox. She loved the painting so much though that we quickly filled up this page and went on to more and more. The camera battery died before I could get final pictures, but imagine yogurt covering her arms, chest and hair...yep, we went straight to the bath after this project.


So after today I'm sure she knows Black, White, Yellow, Orange and Purple. I'm not positive that she always gets Green, Red and Blue. She sometimes called blue purple and green yellow. (and no, at this point I don't think she is red/green color blind)

1 comment:

Shelly said...

It looks like she had lots of fun! Who knew you could make finger paint out of yogurt?