Monday, March 21, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

I love holidays.  St. Patrick's Day is extra special because it is James' Birthday as well so we get to celebrate twice the fun!  There are SO many fun things to do for St. Patricks' Day theme I think I could celebrate for the entire month.

Here is a glimpse of our week
Green  
I knew Ethan would be excited for this week with green being his favorite color.  We went on a green scavenger hunt and found that we have a lot of green items in our house and outside.

Rainbows
Trash Rainbow
I loved this trash rainbow, because it was an easy one to include everyone in.  Ethan was great at tearing paper, the older kids loved cutting (of course), Lissy loved the glue.  We rounded up an assortment of scrap craft supplies and the kids sorted all the colors.
And here is a good example of why I don't get as much done as I'd like to.  Doing fun things with the kids causes lots of messes that I get to clean up.  For me it is worth it---most of the time! :)

Rainbow Hair
I couldn't resist.  It is nothing too exciting, but the girls loved it.

Fruit Rainbow (idea from my friend Natalie)
I didn't take a picture of ours, but I have to say I was amazed by how much fruit was consumed for dinner.  We had traditional corned beef, cabbage and all the fixings for an Irish meal and James' birthday.


Leprechauns
The kids loved learning stories about tricky and mischievous leprechauns.  We set up a 'trap' (based on the Lucky O' Leprechaun book) for the leprechauns to come.  The leprechauns came and left footprints all over the house Wednesday night for the kids to follow and find the prizes that had been left for them.

The leprechauns then came back during lunch and turned all the food green! ;) The kids thought it was so funny to drink green milk and eat green pasta.  They then had to look for the treats that had been hidden by those silly leprechauns after lunch.

St. Patrick's Day Math
We worked on graphing with a couple of different methods
Snack-time with  Lucky Charms (available here)

A spinning graphing game (available here)

Books
The Favorites:
Lucky O' Leprechaun
The Leprechaun Who Lost His Rainbow

2 comments:

Shelly said...

So fun! I want to come celebrate holidays at your house. Actually, Morey and I are going to make a rainbow like that this week. I just found that website last week and I'm excited to use lots of ideas from it. Thanks for the source!

Corinne said...

Yes, yes. I suppose we must move to California so that my kids can go to your house to be able to do fun things. You are so fun!