Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Visiting Snake

James was riding his bike home from work the other day and almost ran over a snake (a 4-foot-long California King) that was basking in the heat of the bike path at the end of the day.  Instead of going around it, or shooing it to the side of the road like I think most people might do, he thought he should bring it home to show the kids.

So, he picks it up, puts it inside his backpack, and continues his ride home.  When he got home the kids were already in bed asleep.  He is really excited to show them, so I get the kids out of bed to come see the snake.  They were less than enthusiastic while they were half asleep.

We decided to keep it in the garage overnight so they could see it in the morning.  The snake escaped from the box once (I walked into the garage and saw it slither under the freezer), so we moved it to a more secure container.  I am not afraid of snakes, but I still had dreams all night about this snake eating our pet snake, and I kept having to pull my snake out of the visiting snakes mouth.  Slightly weird, right?

 The kids were much more excited the next morning.  They got to see and touch the snake.  Ethan was really hoping we could keep it.  Later that morning though we walked it back to the bike path and let it go in the riverbeds.


No comments: