Sunday, June 3, 2012

Human Body

Okay, so the theme for this week started as a joke.  The kids all think "potty" language is hilarious.  Especially to talk about while eating lunch.  It started a few months ago when Ethan was making random sound effects and said 'bum, bum'.  The others thought that was funny, and Ethan, always one for an audience decided that whatever it was he just said was well worth repeating.  This has digressed to other words that they find equally funny (diapers and poop are also favorites.)
I send to kids into the bathroom to get out all the potty language whenever they choose to use it...but it has been months and it is still funny to them.  I'm glad they haven't yet discovered more offensive language.  I'm not sure how I'd stop them from using it.  Any advice?

So, James suggested I teach them about the digestive system, since they are so fond of discussing it so often.  Rather than just focusing on digestion, we did a theme unit on the human body.
The Thursday before, we happened to go to the Science Museum at the Huntington Library.  Brielle and Ethan were especially attracted to this exhibit on the human body, which made a great introduction to the week.

Activities
We had a Mr. Bones puzzle that has different pieces of the body.  Which just reminded me, we were going to play the game 'operation' and forgot to get to that.  
We did the All About Me mini book by Lawteedah to discover facts about our own bodies
We made skeletons our of q-tips (an idea I remember seeing around Halloween time.)
Had some learning games to play

Food
Stick people snacks using cheese cubes and pretzels
and a lot of variations of sandwiches using the gingerbread boy cookie cutter 

Books
A lot of our activities came from a couple of books.  
Outside In, was a favorite.  
And I always love the Usborne books.  (I've been a fan since my sister sold them, maybe 10 years ago?)




No comments: