Thursday, July 21, 2011

Robots

A lot of times my goal for the week isn't to teach the kids anything specific, but to let them know about new ideas that are out there, and that there is always something new to learn about.  Brielle often tells me different things that we need to learn about (whatever she sees out the window while I'm driving usually), squirrels, the sun, trees...isn't it great that we get to learn forever and ever!?

And this week, our theme was all about ROBOTS!!

I pulled random supplies from our craft drawer and let the kids get creative.  We also looked at all of our robot books for inspiration.  


It is like a Mr. Potato Head, you can mix up the features and make it look different every time!  The kids liked this so much that we did it twice in one day, and again the next day.  Because we were using magnets I gave strict instructions that nothing was to be put near the face and monitored the whole time.  Unless you can be right with the kids, this project is better for the older kids (4-years-old).
From the tin-can robots the kids became quite interested in magnets.  We went around the house and found different items that magnets attracted and a lot of things that they don't. 


I specifically got some giant nuts and bolts for the kids to play with this week (it is a great fine-motor skill to be able to twist a nut on a bolt), but Brielle enjoyed the smaller ones.

Introducing the concept of fractions.  Ethan just worked on matching the lines up like a puzzle.
reviewing numbers  
Brielle asked for more projects after everyone else was done for the day. I showed her a number sheet that goes from 0-99.  She ended up counting by looking at the numbers up to 100.  She loves numbers and is always asking me math problems ("What is 5 plus 4?"), and then likes to figure it out herself.    
cutting and spelling.  I had the kids cut out the letters for robot, and then sound out how to put them together.

 Books


So, it is quite ironic that in planning for this week (I went shopping a couple weeks ago for the supplies) I was so careful to get big nuts and bolt and things that could not be swallowed if put in the mouth.  I happen to know I have a little boy that likes to put things in his mouth.  I am telling Ethan to spit things out ALL DAY LONG!  So, it wasn't any of our robot supplies that got swallowed.  It was a nickel.  I saw Ethan playing with it at Church.  I was walking toward him and heard him gag a little.  I asked where the money was and he pointed in his mouth.
He could breathe and acted fine so I kept waiting to see it come out the bottom end.  By Wednesday it wasn't out yet, so I took him in to the doctor (I had called and spoken to the nurses a couple times prior).  They confirmed (quite obviously by the x-ray) that it is still in there, so we are just waiting for it to make it's exit.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: