Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Who Cares about Diapers?


I have had a few people either question my sanity or act mildly interested in the fact that I choose to use cloth diapers. Well, I've been doing it for over a year and I thought I'd throw my experience, advice and opinions out there.

James was the one that brought up the idea of cloth diapering. I didn't know what to think and expect and wavered back and forth 'till the last month of pregnancy. I didn't want to put out the money for diapers and then not be able to handle it.

I purchased online through Jillian's Drawers which I am very happy with. They ship fast and price match any other price you find online as well.

I've spent a total of $354 dollars. (It could have been less, but I tried out a few different kinds of diapers in the beginning to see what I liked best.) I decided I like the basic Unbleached Indian prefold diaper with a Bummis Whisper Wrap cover. What I have should last until Ellie is potty trained plus I can reuse them for additional children.

The laundry doesn't bother me at all. I do laundry anyway, and it is easy to throw a load of diapers in the wash every 3rd day. You can get a mini shower system to rinse off the poopy diapers, I haven't yet, but I'm not grossed out by swishing the diapers in the toilet...so I guess you can call me crazy if you want.

There are cons. The diapers I choose to use are bulky, so they take up a lot more room in a diaper bag and also on the baby, she doesn't seem to care though. It also takes a little bit more planning while traveling to make sure we will have a place to wash diapers.

I actually do like using them though. It makes me feel good to save money and maybe be in some way helping the environment. I plan to use them on any future kids we may have and would definitely recommend it to anyone else if you are at all interested.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Megan,
We agree with you about cloth diapers. We used them for all three.
We were fortunate with Jeannie and Allison that my parents paid for 6 months of a diaper service. That was
sweet!
All our love,
Auntie and Uncle Dan

Megan said...

Way to go! I think you guys have done a great job with the cloth diapers.

jenn said...

hey megan! i just remembered you started your own blog and read all about life at the finlays. seems like you're having lots of fun in your travels. and made me remember how much i loved michigan. and, the cloth diapers...hmmmm...i have another friend that just switched and loves it. you've both got me thinking....