Friday, July 18, 2008

Tuna Noodle Casserole

James and my Dad have at least one thing in common...they both hate tuna casserole. It was the standing joke (or perhaps the actual reality) in my home growing up that when my Mom cooked Tuna Noodle Casserole for dinner it meant that she wanted my Dad to take her out to a restaurant and the rest of us kids ate the casserole.
Here is the truth. I actually really like the stuff. It is also cheap, fast and easy to make. With James being gone the past 6 weeks I've converted Ellie to it as well.
I don't even know if James has ever tasted it. I'm trying to convince him to have some when he gets home, but I think if I try he'll just take me out to eat instead. So, maybe its not such a bad idea to cook it once in a while.


Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 8oz. package egg noodles
1 6oz. can tuna-drained
6 T margarine
6 T flour
1/2 t salt
3 C milk
3 C grated cheddar cheese
Garlic Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil noodles until tender. Drain tuna and set aside. Melt margarine-stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in milk and cook until thickened. Layer noodles, flaked tuna, 1/2 of cheese, 1/2 of white sauce. Repeat layers. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly. You may srpink paprika or bread crumbs if desired.

No comments: