Monday, December 3, 2012

I is for Insect


We started the week making insect jars.  Ethan was very excited about catching different kinds.  Through the week he had a pill bug, a few ants, a cricket, a (dead) bee and some kind of slug.  There was a fly in the house that both the kids were trying to catch with their jars as it flew around.  It was pretty funny.


After reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar we worked on patterns with the food.  I've used these before when we studied bugs. I need to look up where I got them from.

These pictures are ones that my mom had for us when we were little.  There are all different kinds of insects to match, identify and learn more about

We made butterly life cycles with pasta

Used stamps to create the 3 parts of an insect.  Then the kids drew the 6 legs.

Did an experiement to attract ants.  I had them choose a food item they thought they ants would like.  Elise chose tomatoes, Ethan went with cheerios.  I put out corn syrup to make sure the ants came out.  The kids kept running out to see the ants coming to eat their food.

And we had lots insect snacks.  'Ants on a log', buttefly shaped lunches, and insect dessert (shown above) with chocolate pudding, crushed cookies and graham crackers and candy bugs.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: