Sunday, May 13, 2012

Reptiles

The LA Zoo opened up their Reptile House called the LAIR (Living Amphibians, Invertebrates and Reptiles).  I'd been wanting to go, so finally got a week scheduled to learn about reptiles, which forced me to make time for the field trip.  

A few things from our week:

Activities
After talking about what a reptile is, we went through our toy animals to classify them.  This picture makes me laugh.  For some reason Brielle is glaring and Gavin and Ethan is ???taking a nap???!  I was there, and I still don't even know what was going on when I look at this. :)
We go through so many worksheets.  Those that are good to reuse I usually print and laminate, but I decided to put some worksheets on the touchpad so we could do them on there without printing so much.  It was a big hit.
I saw some really fun ideas to make snakes out of toilet paper rolls, so started saving them a few weeks before.  What the kids wanted to do with the craft was not what I had in mind, but they still turned out okay.
The kids helped me color some pasta to use for patterning.  I had the kids draw out the pattern on paper first, so they could follow a long and remember what they were trying to do.  The made pattern snakes, stringing them on yarn...
or gluing them on paper.

 Food
Snake Snacks
hiding 'snakes' in the trail mix
and eating 'crocodile' popsicles (frozen green-smoothies).

Books
The kids loved the Copy Crocs book.  It was fine, but there were a few things the kids picked up on that I didn't like.  Like saying 'leave me alone!'
We did all love the Cat in the Hat book, Miles and Miles of Reptiles.  There is a lot of information jam-packed into poetry.









No comments: