Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent Book Activities

By the way.  I have the books wrapped and in the closet, but don't actually put the number on until the day of.  Since our plans often change, I wrote on the outside of the package what the book is, so I can pick one out depending on what we are doing that day.
Tacky's Christmas (Tacky the Penguin)
The kids all love the original Tacky book, so I picked out Tacky's Christmas.  It was a fun story.  In the book Tacky gives all the other penguins shaving cream, so that is what we used for our project time that day.
It has been a while since we have done shaving cream finger painting around here.  The kids didn't remember it, and it was fun all over again!

Dear Santa: The Letters of James B. Dobbins
Next, it was time to write our letters for Santa.  So we read this fun appropriately named book.  I made up a scripted fill-in-the-blank letter to get the kids started.
 
Ethan was very specific about which colors he wanted to use.  He helped me hold the pencils to write.  He has seen Santa 4 times now this season and has asked for money every time.  I hope Santa is rich.

 
Brielle wrote hers on her own.  (I helped with the spelling of cleaned, helped, bike and cookies.)  She was SO excited to find out that bike has a 'magic e'.  She loves reading words that have a silent e on the end.  Usually when we are reading chapter books together, she tells me to read all the other words and let her read any word that ends in and 'e'. 
The kids wanted to make cookies for Santa.  

The First Night
Our activity Saturday night was going to the Ward Christmas Party, and Southern California Mormon Choir Christmas Concert.
Brielle and Gavin played Mary and Joseph for the acting of the nativity.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You are the funnest Mom I have ever heard of. I totally want to do the book advent calendar too, (when my kids are old enough to enjoy it) so I can be a fun mom like you!