Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lake Lopez

We headed up to Morro Bay for a quick trip last weekend so James and I could participate in a relay triathlon at nearby Lake Lopez with our friend Trinka.  We did an international distance (a 1 mile swim, 26 mile bike and 6.2 mile run).  


The Splash, Screech, Stumble team before the race begins. It was a cold morning in the mountains.  Trinka said the water was warmer than the outside air.  I was glad I was not doing the swim.
transition area all set up

James over-estimated the time his bike portion would take.  His training rides had been about 2 hours.  He estimated the race would be about 1 hour 45 minutes.  We took the kids to play at the park while he was riding and headed over to transition area 10 minutes before he expected to be there only to find he was already there and had been waiting for 8 minutes!  I hurried over to transition to grab the timing chip and start my run.  Luckily I had my running shoes on!  


The run was very hilly, going around the lake and through the campground.  Although it was a pretty location, I didn't love the layout.  It was a 2 loop course that also included an out and back section, so it was a little repetitive.  There was also a very steep hill to climb right before the finish, which made it hard to want to go around for the 2nd loop!  My head kept telling me to turn around a bit early on the out and back portion, or not complete the 2nd loop...but luckily I was able to quiet down that voice and finish the whole thing.

We ended up finishing 4th place in the relay division, which would have been 2nd had it not been for our 8 minute T2 delay.  We plan to do more relays together, so we've learned for next time!

Other than the triathlon, the trip was successful with our normal Morro Bay activities:

Playing at the beach with Alexa (Trinka's daughter)
Finding starfish 
corn maze at the pumpkin patch
enjoying the beautiful sunsets

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Way to go! That's fun that you got to race together.

Miss Jenny said...

Awesome job! Some day I'll get over my fear of running at jog in my sisters' foot steps.