Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Shapes

I originally scheduled a week about shapes, thinking it would be more for the younger kids, but then I realized there was still a lot for the big kids to learn.

Shapes That Roll, Shapes That Stack 
We read this book called Shapes That Roll, and then played along with some of the things we read.  

  We got out all our shape toys and tried rolling blocks and stacking spheres to figure out which worked the best.

I've seen this idea before and have always wanted to try it.  The kids loved building shapes out of toothpicks.

The kids loved playing with the shape dice.  They designed some very creative pictures using the shapes they rolled.

Pattern Blocks

 Shape Shake
Ellie helped me draw the shapes
We then put them on the string to have the kids shake their shape and see who kid get it to touch the door knob first.

Shape Matching
Brielle can't yet read, but I still had her try out this matching game.  You had to match the shape to the word of the shape.  I made it easier by coloring it so that it limited the choices to two (once she matched to colors.) She then sounded out the word and did a great job figuring it out.

I had this heart matching game out at Valentine's, but it was too hard for Ethan then, this time it was much easier and he loved it.

No comments: