Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day

Its been a pretty low-key week.  We've all been sick and tired with colds, so we didn't have any major field trips, just park visits, swimming in the hot tub at our complex and normal daily activities.

This week we were learning more about valentine's day and hearts.  (Valentine's Day is tomorrow, so we'll still have a bit to add to finish up this unit, but we need to start a week early to start making cards)

Valentine's Day Card Making
The kids started the week at Aunt Megan's house, since I had to report for jury duty (I was able to go in and be excused since I had kids at home, but it still took a couple of hours out of my day!)
The kids loved the heart shaped hole punchers.

Mailboxes 
James found these mailboxes in the dollar section at Target and the kids loved playing with them this week.  I made hearts with each of their names on them to work on sight reading for the older kids.  They would sort the mail out of the boxes and 'deliver' the right heart to have it match the name on the wipe container (which were our pretend individual mailboxes).

I saw this idea and loved it!  I wrote messages on the hearts with white crayon so that when the kids painted them they could see what  was there.  They kept wanting me to do more.

Toes
We painted our toes.  Brielle is very interested in the 'colors' of each holiday and wants everything to be red, white and pink right now.

The big kids did a perfect job cutting straight lines, but the curved lines were a big challenge for them.

More card making
stamps, stamps and more stamps

Music Boxes
Lowe's had a free kids workshop where the kids built heart-shaped music boxes.

I finally got my new laminator out so I could finally laminate these file-folder games before the kids used them.  I have a pattern matching one that was easy for Brielle, but still a challenge for Ethan and a numbers/counting one that was perfect for Brielle.

Valentine Cookies
I couldn't resist.  We had some valentine colored M&M's and they were screaming at me to be put in peanut butter cookies.  Yummy!

More Valentine Cookies 
instead of normal frosting, I made a glaze.  It was easier for the kids to paint the cookies rather than trying to spread the frosting. 
My Mom always made dinner-plate size valentine cookies for each of us.  I couldn't help but continue the tradition.

Heart Pancakes
Well, they are kind of shaped like hearts, and kind of pink.  Makes for an easy-fun Valentine's Day breakfast


Books
Brielle's favorite has been Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine.  I was so excited to see a younger version of Amelia Bedelia books, because I love those books when I was a kid.  Brielle has asked for the story every day though and it is so hard to get 'Amelia Bedilia' to roll off your tongue when you are reading it out loud over and over again.
Ethan's favorite was the board book Where is Baby Valentine.  He still loves looking under the flaps.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Okay, when I first saw that picture with the mailboxes, all I saw were the wipes cases. I thought, "Wow... those mailboxes are something else. Way to go, James." But then I clicked to see it bigger. Cute mailboxes! :) And what a fun week.