Friday, February 4, 2011

China

We took a trip around the world this week to China. The kids don't quite understand the concept of countries, but after telling them about China Ellie said she wanted to drive there. I showed them on google earth how to get from California to China. Now she really wants to go on an airplane trip.


We learned that in China they speak and write a different language. I had some things from China from when my Mother-in-law went on a trip there, so I was able to show the kids. They learned to say 'Ni Hao' (hello) count 'yi, er, san' (1, 2, 3) and say 'gung hay fat choy' (Happy New Year) which Brielle is still walking around saying.

Paper Lanterns
The kids are making progress with being able to cut a straight line. This was great practice for the older kids. Ethan just ate his paper and stickers...as usual.

Books
I introduced the books on Monday when I told the kids about China. They were so excited they sat through all of them. Usually we read 2 or 3 at a time, but they just wanted me to keep going. We read them all in one sitting, and again and again throughout the week.

Chinese New Year's Eve Party
Wednesday for New Year's Eve we had a guest speaker (our friend Shirley) come to teach the kids about the traditions of the holiday. She brought the kids some Chinese gifts and treats that they were really excited about!

The kids had so much fun decorating for the party.

They used their knowledge from the books to make things just right. They swept the bad luck away, made sure we had flowers and tangerines on the table, and Ellie insisted on a red tablecloth.

Red Envelopes
We learned that kids in China get red envelopes with money in them for New Years. Shirley taught us that the parents put the red envelopes under the pillow while the kids are sleeping. Later that day Brielle took a nap and when she woke up she came to me crying. I asked what was wrong and she said 'you forgot to put a red envelope under my pillow!'. She was very excited to look under her pillow the next morning and find her red envelope waiting for her.


Chinese New Year Party
We had our own little family dinner with orange chicken, potstickers, fried rice and broccoli. Then we got together with the cousins to have a movie/popcorn night and watched Mulan.

Making Fortune Cookies
Even though Shirley informed us that fortune cookies are not actually Chinese, it is a fun Americanized Chinese tradition, so we went ahead and made them anyway. I put Ellie in charge of the fortunes. She dictated to me exactly what she wanted them to say. My favorite was Ethan. She told me it had to say "Ethan Bradley Finlay two and a half miles" I asked her 2.5 miles to what? She said that was all.


The Year of the Rabbit
The kids painted a picture of a rabbit that Shirley gave to them.

Field Trips
For our Huntington Gardens trip this week we made sure to visit the the Chinese Garden. There were Red Paper lanterns hanging up for the holiday and LOTS of people there wearing red for good luck.







George C. Page Museum (aka La Brea Tar Pits)
This isn't related to China, but it was free day at the Tar Pits this week and we wanted to go. I have heard about the Tar Pits, but this was the first time I had been there. We'll definitely go back.

Best Friends

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Wow! I'm very impressed with everything you did and how much Ellie got into it. And how fun that you had a friend come tell you about the traditions. Very cool.