Thursday, September 30, 2010

letter l

Lions
We read lots of lion books, but our favorite was We're Going on a Lion Hunt
It was a hot day outside, so I set up a lion hunt in the garage.  We made safari hats and started our hunt. Chairs for trees, a blue tarp for river, fake plants for grass...These kids have great imaginations, so when we got to the lion cave (where I had put some stuffed lions and flashlights) we heard some loud shrieking as the kids ran back through the grass and river and trees and mud back safely home.  We did this over and over and over and over again.  

The kids are still a bit skeptical when I make them food that looks like other things.  Well, except Ethan, he'll eat anything.  

Brielle tells me that l stands for lollipops and lollipops are for lllllllllicking.  So, I guess I couldn't disappoint her.



 Leaves
We colored coffee filters with markes and then used a dropper to spread the colors to make some fall leaves.
we were also going to collect some leaves for leaf rubbing and painting, but my accidental l experience (see below) changed my plans, so we'll have to do that later.

 Lady Bugs
We read some fun ladybug books and then made some ladybugs.  

In this picture the kids are signing the letter l with their hands.

And, this is what the babies are doing while the big kids finish their cutting and glueing

Other L activities:
A trip to the library
Making lemonade
watching lighting, which is an unusual event in California!

Accidental 'l' experience:
Locked out and Lemons
When we went outside to drip water on our leaves the wooden stick fell down when I closed the sliding glass door which locked us outside.  The kids didn't know or care.  They were happy pulling lemons off the lemon tree and throwing them while I frantically tried to find a way to get into my own house.  Ethan was still inside napping.  Since we were stepping outside just for a second none of us had shoes on, I didn't have my phone, and in fact Brielle, who had just finished going potty, did not even have any pants on at all!
I kept trying and trying to push on the sliding glass door.  It would open about an inch so I was trying to find ways that I could move the stick out of the door.  I tried sticking my arm in, asked the kids if they could reach, found things that I could fit in there...nothing worked.
After saying a prayer with the kids I more calmly decided to quit focusing on the sliding glass door and we went around to the garage door.  I was able to lift it enough that we all shimmied like a snake underneath and made it back inside.  I was relieved.  The kids immediately asked if they could go back out to play with the lemons.

1 comment:

Margaret Finlay said...

"L" looked like a very tasty letter to do. Your lesson plans are amazing - anybody that wanted some good preschool lessons could just read your blog. I know today you are doing the letter "M" for marathon. Good luck!