Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's in a name?

So we have decided on a name for the new Finlay baby boy. Don't worry, my initial choice of Maximus did not prevail. We are calling him Ethan Bradley Finlay. My middle name is Bradley and so is my Dad's, so it works out great.


So here he is just a few minutes after I cut the cord. He pinked up really fast. I thought he had a pretty thick neck when he first came out, but now when I look I don't think so.


I looked at the time stamp of this photo and it was 19 mins after Ethan came out. As you can see, Meg looks fabulous. You would not guess that she just delivered a baby without an epidural! Ethan was already latched on and nursing and is pretty much a huge chow hound.


Ethan's feet were stamped on the birth certificate then they were pressed on my arm. This is the symbolic gesture of how he is already walking all over me :)


After he was done nursing he took a much needed nap and Meg got to have some lunch!


Ethan slept like...well...a baby after his bath. We were moved to a recovery room and we just wheeled him a few doors down.


Brielle came to visit and have dinner last night (we are planning to do the same thing tonight). Our wonderful friends and neighbors watched her the whole day before she came to visit. She is very interested in Ethan. She was continually asking to have him put on the ground so she could see him by herself. She will be a great big sister.


Here is a little video clip of Ellie meeting Ethan for the first time. She was trying to teach him the parts of his face. She was even nice enough to stick her tongue out at him. My favorite thing that Ellie says now is "two" while she shakes her hand. She says it twice in this video. To her "two" simply means there are more than one of something, in the case of eyes and ears she is right on!

9 comments:

Shelly said...

I love that video of them together. And I love his name!

Shelly said...

And Meg, you do look fabulous! Way to go! You're my new role model. :)

Scotty said...

Welcome to the family Ethan! With the two eyes and two ears going for you, I think you'll manage to fit in just swell.

schram11 said...

Congradulations James and Meg. Ethan is absolutely adorable and Ellie is going to make a wonderful big sister. You have been blessed with gresatest gift of all!!

Natalie said...

Totally precious! Those first moments of siblings meeting is priceless! Did he help pick his name?

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

HOORAY! Congratulations!

jenn said...

great to hear your news and see pics! congrats, you guys! maximus is my nephew's name! (we all kinda said hunh? when they named him). I'm glad you picked Ethan. That was on our short list of names for Carter. Megan--you look great! Glad it all went well. I'm behind on blog-reading and facebook. Did I see that you were induced b/c you were itchy? Is it gone now? Hope so. Miss you guys! Good luck on selling the house. I apologize...this really should have been an email or facebook message. Sorry for the novel!!

Margaret Finlay said...

Besides Bradley being James' and Brad's middle names, it is also Ethan's great, great grandmother's maiden name (Bob Finlay's mother, Frances Bradley).

Julie said...

Congratulations, he is adorable! I love his name, too.