Sunday, October 7, 2018

Conference weekend and other fun

I'm not sure I'm ready to commit, but I wanted to try to post more regularly about our normal life instead of just the big trips and events.  I figured since I write a weekly family journal anyway, it would be simple enough to add a few pictures to our journal and document it here also. Issue number 1, how to a title a 'regular life' post?

Preston lost his ‘first’ tooth this morning. (If we don’t count the damaged front tooth that broke and was pulled out).  He is so excited about it and keeps randomly coming up to me with a huge grin to remind me.
(he was writing who the letter was for: "James Finlay and Preston" and then writes "Daddy I lost my tooth, I wanted to show you my tooth at home"-I love kindergarten spelling)

James and Ian flew up to Squamish, Canada this weekend for cousin Jeannie’s wedding and seem to be having a great time, although are relatively unplugged staying at a cabin with no wifi.  

I helped with a funeral in our ward this week of a lady originally from Tahiti (the one who loved Preston and kept yogurt in her fridge for him).  I enjoyed the culture of her family as they all got together to both mourn and celebrate together.  At the mortuary on Thursday after we finished dressing her they brought in a ukulele and sang songs together in French and Tahitian. At the funeral all of the women wore white and again sang with guitar and ukulele.  It was a sweet experience to be part of.

The kids had parent teacher conferences this week (they are doing great and the teachers and wonderful things to say about them) which meant they got out of school early every day.  We enjoyed the slower paced afternoons.
We had Brielle’s friend join us on Friday for a birthday date, since Brielle will be out of town next week for her birthday party.  The kids were good sports to play at the church while I finished with the funeral luncheon and then after some time for activities at home we went to Cafe Rio.  Brielle requested that she and her friend NOT sit by the boys and I.  
(can't imagine why she didn't want to sit by this cute guy) :)

The kids had volleyball games yesterday, which went well.  Because of having those in the morning we watched Saturday conference on a delayed schedule smooshing the 3 sessions together with only 1 hour breaks in between rather than 2.  
Luckily the kids are old enough and excited enough about conference that it worked well.   Mostly they like earning conference cash to buy treats from our conference menu, the favorites being chicken nuggets, gummy worms and pirates booty. :)


After conference we met up with cousins for 'boulder rolling' which is rolling big rocks down the river grade, and so much fun for all ages.  Gramma also showed them the magic of 'cattail snow'.
The 2 babies are not in the picture, but pretty fun that we could get 10 cousins together for an impromptu Sunday afternoon walk.  At least for a couple more weeks until 3 of them move to the other side of the world.

No comments: