Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ragnar Relay

200.9 miles of running.  Yep, that is a bit crazy, but it is a fun kind of crazy that makes you feel good.  We had a great team and had a lot of fun together.

While we were running from Huntington Beach to Coronado Island, James, his sister Megan and the 4 kids were the cheering squad along the way.
The kids love the team's mascot.  We hand it off at each exchange, and they kids love being on the catching end.
They were able to visit Aunt Eileen's ranch in San Marcos.
 
In case you can't tell from the picture, Ethan LOVES In 'n Out.  He eats an entire hamburger on his own, easily.  
And, he especially enjoys the chocolate shakes!
A good portion of the running route was close to the beach, so the kids enjoyed the time to play in the waves.
And of course, there was time for picnicking at the park as well.

Now that I see how much fun the kids had while we were out running, I'm a bit jealous.
My first leg was 5.4 miles in the city of Corona. It was a nice neighborhood, but was quite hilly and it was HOT!  It was almost 90 degrees.  There were people that had to be taken to the emergency room because of dehydration.  Not exactly the best way to start the race.  I was glad to be finished with that run and get back out of the sun.
My middle of the night run was 6.5 miles in Fallbrook.  It was about 2:30am and it felt so much better to not be running in the heat!.  I had a 3 mile hill to start with, but was able to finish coming down.  During the night we run with headlights, 'tail'lights and reflective vests so we can be very visable. 
And here I am taking off for my final run.  8.3 miles through the city of San Diego.  I ran right past the airport and through Seaport Village.  I had another steep hill that was a gut buster for the first 3 miles, but after that I was able to enjoy the ocean view in San Diego.
This is our team at the finish line, excited to be finished after about 34 hours of nonstop running and very little sleep.
We finished just as the sun was going down on the beach in Coronado Island.  It was BEAUTIFUL!!  It was a team effort with all the runners and support to cheer us on. 

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Congratulations on doing that! I bet it was awesome to finish up right at sunset. It looks like you had a great time! Maybe next year...