Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Little More Color

Coloring Celery
The same concept as with carnations, only you can see how the colors come up the celery stalk. The green (that Ellie put in what I thought was WAY too much food coloring) worked the best. Lesson learned, use a lot of coloring. It was interesting to listen to Brielle explain to James how the celery was drinking the water, she actually understood quite a bit.

Color Wheel
I still haven't unpacked all my art supplies, but we found enough to do a little project. In addition to cutting I had them practice tearing the paper. My idea was to have this as a collage in the shape of a rainbow, but the kids really wanted to do circles, so we were able to use the circle to create a color wheel to reinforce primary and secondary colors. (Just cut out the circles, and paste on another paper. We waited for these papers to dry on first, so I don't have pictures of the final project yet.)

Color Wheel Pancakes
I was looking at our pancakes and thinking they would make a great palate for mixing colors.
I got this frosting last year after Christmas.  It has been great to have on hand for writing letters on muffins or doing quick project.  Ellie loves any chance she gets to eat frosting, so she was a big fan.
Books
We always get a big selection at the library and then try them out to see what we like best.
I won't list everything, but our favorites ended up being:

Raindrops A Shower of Colors by Chieu Anh Urban
A great board book for younger kids, but also teaches color mixing

Lemons are NOT Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Ethan loves saying NO. So I would ask 'are lemons red?' and he yells NO! All the kids really liked this one.

Color Dance by Ann Jonas
It is a little bit strange, but Ellie loved it. It teaches good concepts about mixing colors. The one we had was copyright in 1989, so I don't know if it was just old, but the red in the book looked quite pink. Other than that it was good. We always finished the book by singing what I know of The Spectrum Song (since the book actually mentions colors like chartreuse and aquamarine).

Colors by The Eyelike Series
Really good to show the spectrum of colors in nature, this was another of Ellie's top picks this week.

No comments: