Friday, December 12, 2008

something to talk about


I haven't done a very good job of keeping track of words Brielle knows. I started a few times, but never kept up on it. So, for her journal and my interest I decided to do a repeatable "study" of sorts.

I wrote down everything she said for two hours. Starting from when she woke up at 7am and as we got ready to leave the house to go shopping at 9am. I didn't include words she had to be prompted to say (unfortunately, please and thank you were among those words). I also didn't include words she was just copying, not coming up with on her own (like headband).

By-the-way, I don't know how many words she should be saying at her age. I don't want to know if she is a genius, average, or dumber than average. I feel like she communicates pretty well, but I am perfectly aware that a lot of what she says I only understand because I'm her mom, most strangers might not be able to figure out all these words.

So, here is what we have for a typical day with James running out the door to school. At 19 months and 1 week, this is what Ellie had to say. I only wrote each word once, even if she said it multiple times during the two hours:

blanket (said sounding like deedee)
baby
bottle
Daddy
fan (sounds like man)
Mommy/Mommy's (a frequent word)
nose (as she is pulling toilet paper off the roll to "blow" her nose)
bath
cereal
orange
wave
kiss (sounds more like diss)
bye
book
Wes
Scriptures
milk
yes
juice
bonk
no
drink
on
more
pancake (sounds more like beepbeep, but she signs this was well while she says it)
right there
egg
bread
Ellie/Ellie's
ummm this one (always said together, including the umm as if one word)
hot
cup
help
buckle
yay
bite
all gone
down
again (a frequent word)
wash hands
ball
hat
pen
snowman
shoes
feet
yucky
color
movie
owl (says the sound of an owl "oooo" to mean owl)
up
wake up
lotion (sounds more like cici)
face
tree
angel
teeth
woah
mouth
mouse
page
grandpa
cat
school
puppy
choo-choo (says to mean train)
shiny
bumpy
dinosaur
bus
turtle
snake
shower
potty
sleep
jump
uh-oh
stairs (still sounds more like shoes)
run
light
bed
belly
pillow
frisbee
circle (as she dances in circles)
hair
jacket
where'd it go (always said together as one word, as she lifts her hands up looking)
snack
house

2 comments:

Shelly said...

According to childdevelopmentinfo.com, the average 18 month old should be saying between 5-20 words. I'd say she's a genius.

Ashlie said...

That's a great list!! When I took Liam in for his 2 year, the Dr. asked if his vocabulary was at 20 words and starting to put 2-3 words together... I'll agree with Michelle, she's a genius!